Teaching methods in Victorian government schools are interactive and engaging, making studying in Melbourne and Victoria, Australia an enjoyable experience.
Our teachers design their lessons:
- to the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- to your individual learning and welfare needs
- to make the most of the space where they're teaching.
The Victorian school education system offers:
- dynamic learning environments
- innovative teaching practices
- a choice of over 90 subjects
- an internationally recognised qualification in the VCE.
In Victoria, we believe that great leadership drives excellence in the classroom.
That's why we see our teachers as leaders, as well as our school principals.
With leaders at all levels of a school, students have many levels of guidance and support.
You can choose from over 250 accredited primary and secondary schools, each offering welfare and English language support specifically for international students.
Classrooms in Victoria
Studying in the classroom in Victoria, Australia, students learn in many different ways. Students take part in discussions and ask questions, creating a positive and supportive environment with atmosphere and energy.
The classroom is where students learn best, and can be in a range of environments, for example at a:
Learning can take place in many forms, for example - independently, in groups, in the classroom or outside of class time.
Support for your learning journey
Your teachers will support, challenge and inspire you. They are easy to approach and therefore talk to you on a personal level. They treat you as individuals and with respect.
Your teachers will guide you all the way through your student journey, in any of our Victorian government schools. They are there to help when you may not understand something.
You will also have your international student coordinator who you can reach out to for all kinds of support inside and outside of your studies.
You will have more personal, one-on-one attention with your teacher. Our secondary class sizes and student/teacher ratios are better than the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) average.
Learn and achieve your best
In a Victorian government school, you will:
- benefit from interactive and engaging teaching methods, making studying in Australia an enjoyable experience
- learn the way that suits you best using the latest technologies – our teachers offer different learning styles
- gain the best possible grasp of the English language:
Build your own knowledge base supporting you to:
- express, analyse and develop your own ideas and opinions
- gain the confidence to ask questions and interact with students and teachers
- become an independent, confident learner through critical thinking and 'hands-on' learning
- develop a strong rapport with your teachers – a key factor in your success
How we teach
Teaching and learning in schools in Victoria are firstly about exploring and engaging with the world around you.
Our teaching methods in Victorian government schools primarily:
are why many of our international students find studying in Victorian schools refreshing and exciting
recognise that the quality of our teachers is the single most important in-school factor influencing student achievement
use the best teaching practices to update their skills-base. This is so as to ensure they provide inspiring and caring settings for students to learn and achieve.
What we teach our teachers
Students need high-quality teachers and school leaders in order to learn. We place great importance on investing in our teachers' skills. All of our teachers are university qualified. They are always updating and expanding their skills.
We believe that every Victorian student deserves the best education system in Australia. The Victorian government strives for passionate and talented principals, teachers and education support staff.
See our Practice Principles for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to find out what guides the way we teach and the way our students learn.