Homestay mum sharing meal with her international students

​​​​​​​​​​​A safe, comfortable place to stay during your studies is just as important as the school you attend. That’s why we have high standards for our international student accommodation. Melbourne or regional Victoria, Australia: take your pick from heaps of great places to live or study.

Choose the best option for you and your family:

  • live with one of our approved homestay families
  • nominate your own homestay family for our approval, or
  • live with a parent or close relative approved by the Austra​lian Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Live with one of our homestay families

We highly recommend our homestay program because it gives you a unique cultural and language experience. For this option you need to be 15 years of age or older.

When you choose homestay, the Department of Education (DE) will take responsibility for your welfare. On behalf of DE, your school will carefully select your homestay family and therefore your accommodation, conducting child ​safe screening including visiting the homestay and conducting Working with Children checks on all members of the homestay family over 18 years of age, and ensuring the school meets rigorous government standards.

Victoria has many different types of families and communities. Meet one of our homestay families​ and find out how it all works.

Live with a parent or close relative

You can live with a parent or a close relative if they’ll also be living in Victoria during your studies. With this option, your parent or close relative has responsibility for your welfare instead of ​DE.

All students under 15 years and students with additional needs must select this option.

The relative must be approved by ​DHA​ and must:

  • ​be over 21 years of age
  • fit one of DHA’s set of family relationships (for example, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandparent).

Nominate your own homestay family

You can stay in Victoria with a close family friend or a relative who isn’t on the list approved by DHA. With this option, your school takes responsibility for your welfare​ on behalf of DE.

International students must be 15 years of age or older to stay with a homestay family. Your nominated family friend or relative must:

  • have a current Working with Children Check
  • provide suitable accommodation which meets our homestay criteria.

Please note: Prior to the student’s placement in the parent-nominated homestay, the Parent-Nominated Homestay Form must be completed by the parent/legal guardian or the nominated homestay provider and returned to the International Education Division.

Our International Student Coordinato​rs

We want you to have a true home away from home. Our International Student Coordinators (ISC) make​ sure you’re happy with your homestay family.

After you arrive, your ISC will check how you’re settling into your new student accommodation. Melbourne suburbs and Victoria’s country regions are all covered. They’re responsible for the quality of all accommodation, with the exception of a parent or relative approved by DHA​​.

CRICOS Provider Name and Code: Department of Education, 00861K.
CRICOS Course Names and Codes: Primary (Prep to Year 6), 019047G; Secondary (7-12), 019048F; Victorian College of the Arts Secondary Course (7-12), 028651A.
Last Update: 12/12/2023 10:31 AM